Last Updated: September 28, 2020.
The Checkra1n jailbreak is available for all iOS 14 and iOS 13 users, but it can only be installed via a Mac computer at the moment. Read on for all the details.
How to Download Checkra1n Jailbreak:
Before jailbreaking your iPhone or iPad, you need to know the following:
- Checkra1n only has support for macOS right now, although Windows support is expected in the near future.
- Checkra1n is semi-untethered, which means your Mac is required to reboot your device should it be powered off for any reason
- Checkra1n supports all A5 to A11 64-bit devices
- It works on iOS 12.3 to 14
- If you have an iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad 2 or 3, or an iPhone 5s, Checkra1n is purely an experimental tool
- The default package manager is Cydia, but you can add Sileo, and others are expected to be supported in the near future.
- Using the right cable, plug your iOS device into your Mac
- Trust the device if you get the popup message asking you to do so
- Use this link to download Checkra1n on your Mac
- Locate the .dmg file on your Mac and double-click it
- Drag the Checkra1n app to your Applications folder and drop it in
- Launch Applications and right-click the file
- Click on Show Package Contents
- Click on checkra1n > Contents and then on MacOS
- Find and double-click the file called checkra1n_gui – the jailbreak app opens
- Check that the app has recognized your device and click Start
- Next, you see a message telling you your device needs to go into DFU mode – click on Next
- Click on Start and follow the directions on the screen to place your device into DFU
- The jailbreak will begin the exploitation when your device is in DFU
- The verbose boot screen with checkra1n theme should show on your screen – leave everything connected until the jailbreak has finished, at which point you can close the application
- Go to your home screen and tap on the Checkra1n loader icon
- Tap on Cydia>Install Cydia and wait – once Cydia is installed, the application will close, and the Cydia icon is on your home screen
Provided you followed these steps properly, your device will now be jailbroken using Checkra1n.
If you would rather use the Sileo package manager, all you need to do is add the Sileo repo.
- Launch Cydia and tap Sources
- Tap Edit>Add and enter repo.sileoteam.apps into the URL field
- Tap Add Source and the repo will be added
Be aware that this will cause Cydia to be uninstalled, and the default shell will be set to zsh.
Deleting Checkra1n Jailbreak:
If for some reason, you need the jailbreak deleted from your device, the easiest way to do it is to restore your device using iTunes – hopefully, you backed your data up before you started the jailbreak. If you are using the Cydia Package Manager, you can use Cydia Eraser to remove the jailbreak without changing the iOS version you are currently running. You will need to download Cydia Eraser from Cydia first and then follow these steps:
- Launch Cydia Eraser on your device
- Tap on Delete All Data and Unjailbreak Your Device
- Tap Delete All on the next window and wait – when its all finished, your device reboots and will go back to the iOS version you were running before jailbreaking.
- Now you can set your device up and either reinstall the jailbreak or leave your device as it is.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Being a relatively new jailbreak, we do tend to get quite a few questions asked about Checkra1n, so here we answer the most common ones for you.
What is Checkra1n?
It is one of the latest jailbreaks to be released. Checkra1n is the name of the jailbreak project, solidly backed by the community, that produced the semi-untethered jailbreak we can use on our devices today. The jailbreak has been based on the checkm8 bootrom exploit and is one of the most reliable and stable jailbreaks to date.
Can I Use Checkra1n on Windows?
Not yet. So far, only the macOS is supported, and you will need a Mac computer to install the jailbreak onto your iPhone or iPad. However, we do expect support for Windows in the future, but, in the meantime, you can use the Unc0ver jailbreak.
How Safe is Checkra1n Jailbreak?
Very safe. This jailbreak has undergone significant testing to ensure it is safe and reliable for you to use, and, so far, it has proven itself to be one of the most stable, trouble-free jailbreaks of recent times. Of course, you should make sure your back your data up before you jailbreak, just in case anything goes wrong.
Are you going to try Checkra1n jailbreak? It is reliable and stable and is the best jailbreak of current times.