Last Updated: November 19, 2020.
Data harvesting is the need of the hour for all businesses. Data harvesting or data web scraping allows companies or firms to conduct market research and be up-to-date with the current trend and information related to the industry.
Now, API scraping is the go-to solution of many data engineers when it comes to web scraping or data harvesting. API stands for Application Programming Interface, which is a set of communication protocols.
These protocols provide access to an application’s core data, operating system, website, or any other service. If you hit over the internet, you can get a list of proxies or websites that provide API scraping. The primary users of API scraping are big companies.
Let’s dive deeper into it and understand how API users make use of this technology. Even though API is a data scraping method, but it works differently. So generally, API scraping allows one software to talk to another software.
To put this more simply, API enables the users to, i.e., the data engineers of a particular industry, to open up data and functionality to other developers and businesses.
With a list of proxies available, API is one of the most practiced methods of exchanging data and services between companies. Talking about the current scenario, API scraping is widely used as a data crawling method by its user businesses and companies.
For example, consider a weather forecast company that creates an API to allow other developers or companies to access their data and make something out of it for their requirements. Be it their mobile weather application, weather website, or even research studies.
What are the benefits that API Scraping users get?
If you require the same data from the same source and for the same specific purpose or objective, API scraping is ideal for all your data needs.
- Companies open APIs to encourage developer innovation. APIs also help in monetizing data and connect with partners.
- Automatization is one of the most significant advantages for API users, such as developers or data engineers. It reduces the work of the developer, thereby increasing the efficiency of the user.
- API scraping allows its user companies or developers to customize the service and implement new functions according to their requirements. API scraping is nothing but like providing a ‘tailor-made suit’ for the users, which they can change or modify whenever they want.
- API scraping helps in lead generation for business users. If you think about manual searching for your potential clients, it can be time-consuming and inefficient. However, API scraping can provide you with readymade data of the leads’ information from various websites in so much less time.
- API scraping can help businesses with price optimization. For example, by scarping new price data, the company will keep an eye on all the industry changes and thereby create its pricing strategy.
Web Scraping vs. API Scraping
The goal of both Web scraping and API scraping is the same, i.e., to access web data. However, in web scraping, you will have to use a web scraping tool that will allow you to extract data from any website of your choice. Whereas on the other hand, API gives its users direct access to the data they want.
Also, web applications use APIs to connect the application front ends with all the essential back end data and functionality. Online streaming platforms also use APIs to distribute content.
Automotive companies these days are again using APIs to send software updates. Other users use APIs to unlock car data for third-parties. Now you can get a list of proxies that provide API services.